The Promise Scotland is a non-statutory company responsible for driving the work of change demanded by the
conclusions of the Independent Care Review.
It works with all kinds of organisations to support shifts in policy, practice, and culture so Scotland can
#KeepThePromise it made to care experienced infants, children, young people, adults, and their families - that
every child grows up loved, safe and respected, able to realise their full potential.
The Promise Scotland’s sole reason for being is to facilitate and support change, wherever that change needs to
happen to make sure that Scotland will #KeepThePromise.
More information can be found in the below resources
Independent Care Review
Find out more at thepromise.scot
The role sits within the Governance and Operations team, which has responsibility for ensuring The Promise Scotland
is a well-run, effective and efficient organisation:
- Leading the financial management of the company.
- Working as an effective business partner with
colleagues across the organisation to ensure finance and central services functions are embedded and working
- Leading organisational planning to secure the sustainable running of the organisation for
the duration of The Promise Scotland’s lifetime (to 2030).
- Supporting the Board of Directors, including
full Directors’ meetings and committee meetings.
- Providing leadership and support on all areas of legal
compliance, including company law, data protection, health and safety and Freedom of
- Ensuring The Promise Scotland’s staff recruitment and development policies and procedures
reflect best-practice and are appropriately implemented.
- Coordinating the independent secretariat
function for the Promise Oversight Board.
- Supporting the day-to-day business needs of the
The Promise Scotland is looking for a highly motivated person to consolidate the finance and central services
functions and further develop excellent organisational processes.
The Finance and Central Services Manager works alongside colleagues across the organisation to deliver services and
provide advice and support on all aspects of finance, risk, HR and business planning.
Main duties of this role
The Finance and Central Services Manager will lead the day-to-day work to deliver excellent cross-organisational
services and contribute to organisational strategy and resourcing.
The Manager will:
- Produce accurate and timely financial reports and analysis that support Directors and colleagues to make sound
business decisions, as well as ensuring on-time reporting to the company’s funders.
- Work with team Heads
to provide financial analysis to support their planning and decision-making.
- Develop, refine and monitor
financial budgets and drive performance, in conjunction with the Management Accountant, who works on a
consultancy basis, to maximise the impact of the company in partnership with the Finance and Audit & Risk
- Lead on regulatory requirements in relation to year-end financial responsibilities and
- Work closely with the Head of Governance and Operations and the CEO to define the path for
sustainability and development of the organisation to 2030, ensuring consideration of financial evidence and
- Lead on regulatory requirements including Companies House, freedom of Information, data
protection and health and safety.
- Lead on organisational risk management and mitigation
- Lead on contract negotiation and management with main suppliers and facilities
- Work closely with colleagues across The Promise Scotland team to support on-going planning
and delivery of the overall programme of work.
- Work with the Senior Finance and Administration Officer
and external HR consultant to embed excellent HR practices and policies.
- Be responsible for the line
management and development of the Senior Finance and Administration Officer, in line with The Promise Scotland’s
people management values, culture, and procedures, and contribute as a manager in The Promise Scotland
Essential and Desirable Criteria
- Experience of working in a similar role focused on financial management and excellent
- High-level budgeting and financial reporting skills.
- Financially astute, articulate
and technically strong with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- An interest in applying digital
technology to provide solutions to public sector challenges.
- Analytical thinking, independent judgment,
and discretion in handling personnel issues.
- Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills,
including a track-record of writing clear, accessible reports to senior colleagues and Board members and
exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to work under pressure, make decisions and to solve
problems. Able to deal with conflicting and challenging demands, identify solutions and prioritise work whilst
ensuring that a high-quality service is provided and that deadlines are met.
- Experience of business
partnering, working collaboratively, building, and nurturing strong relationships across different teams and
managing relationships with a range of internal and external interests to ensure delivery of key
- Strong knowledge of administrative software packages.
- Qualified accountant, member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
with compliance including but not limited to Companies House, data protection, freedom of information and health
- Experience of working with Xero accountancy software.
- Lived experience of care
and/or deep, demonstrable understanding of the principles established by the Care Review.
The Promise Scotland is based in Charlotte House, in Central Edinburgh. Flexible working arrangements will be
considered for this role, as long as the key business needs are met. The Promise Scotland strives for a positive
and supportive team culture and environment.
Application Deadline: 5pm Monday 20 March 2023
Interview Date: Week commencing 27 March 2023
To apply for this role, please download the application form from
Once complete, please return to email@example.com with the job role as the subject.
Candidates with lived experience of care or candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria outlined
will be invited to interview.
For more information about this role please contact Morag Burnett at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job role as the