About the role
A new and exciting opportunity to work with us is here, to lead our talented communications team in Scotland sharing Sustrans vision, mission, achievements and values with the media and wider society. You will provide communications and media support for all Sustrans Scotland’s policy and advocacy work; helping to deliver happier, healthier cities and towns for all.
In this crucial role you will ensure that external communications to all key audiences consistently reinforce the charity’s positive reputation in Scotland, while ensuring that all Scotland communications align with the Sustrans’ brand values and strategic priorities around liveable cities and towns for everyone and places for everyone.
You will lead communications of all Transport Scotland funded projects, like our award-winning digital campaign #AndSheCycles, or our media partnership promoting the NCN Route of the Week. You will provide leadership to ensure the full range of projects are showcased and given media profile.
You will build and manage internal and external relationships with key people in the wider communications teams internally and externally with various media outlets.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects on behalf of Sustrans. We offer true hybrid working, a flexible mix of working from home and occasional travel to a nearby office hub in Glasgow or Edinburgh.
You should have experience of leading, motivating and managing a team. In this role you will manage a team of 6, delivering exciting campaigns to influence people to be more active in the ways they travel.
Your experience and in-depth understanding of communications and digital marketing through working in these sectors is key to your success in this role, you should also have significant experience of mass and specialist communications and advocacy.
You will build relationships easily, and work collaboratively allowing you to establish and maintain relationships with media partners not only in Scotland, but across the UK.
An understanding of local and/or regional politics and communications and public affairs opportunities that surround them is vital, as is the ability to communicate persuasively on the benefits of sustainable transport projects and Sustrans’ approach to active travel in Scotland.
We ask you demonstrate your experience of leading, developing and implementing communications strategies and delivery plans, policies and budgets in a complex organisation.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone - reducing inequality, valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and respect. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
What we offer
In return we can offer true hybrid working to suit individual circumstances and a flexible, supportive and rewarding working environment.
• 26 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
• Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
• Staff volunteer days
• 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
• We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes
• Group Personal Pension scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans
• Bike, computer and season ticket loans
• Discount benefits
• London Weighting Allowance - For all colleagues who live in London (within the M25) an additional annual allowance of £3,995 will be paid.
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
• Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday)
To find out more visit our website
• Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 6 November.
• Interviews will take place via MS Teams with an option to interview face to face, on 17 November and 18 November
• To apply, please complete our online application form evidencing your skills and experience in relation to the role description.
• More details of our vacancies can be found at sustrans.org.uk/about-us/vacancies.
Sustrans is the charity making it easier for people to walk and cycle. We connect people and places, create liveable neighbourhoods, transform the school run and deliver a happier, healthier commute.
Our vision and mission have never been more relevant. Across the UK, governments are pledging investment and action on walking and cycling.
We are working together to make a real difference - creating places where everyone can live and travel happily and healthily, and where nobody is excluded.
Our work wouldn’t be possible without the commitment and dedication of our colleagues.
Join Sustrans today and help us get things done, together!