About the role
We have a new and exciting opportunity available to join the GIS team in the Research and Monitoring Unit (RMU). As the GIS Officer, you will report to the GIS Manager and work alongside 3 other Officers, collaborating with other teams across Sustrans to support the strategic priorities of Paths for Everyone (PFE) and Liveable Cities and Towns for Everyone (LCT).
You will play a pivotal role in helping the RMU provide transparent and authoritative evidence on walking and cycling, and which influences and shapes policy, practice and behaviour across the UK.
In this diverse technical role, you will use GIS tools to maximise how we tell the story of our impact at Sustrans. You will design automated workflows for managing large and complex datasets, to ensure geospatial data is current and accurate.
You will develop training materials and lead training sessions for over seven hundred ArcGIS members which includes induction sessions for new staff and advanced workshops for technical officers. You will also train external partners and volunteers.
We offer true hybrid working, a flexible mix of working from home and occasional travel to the nearest hub in Edinburgh or Glasgow.
You should have professional working experience of FME, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro. Experienced in working with ArcGIS Online tools for presenting information which includes StoryMaps, Operations Dashboard, Insights, Experience Builder and Hub Premium.
You will have the ability to design and build workflows with FME.
We will look for evidence of your experience in managing and working with large spatial and non-spatial datasets, analysing these complex datasets and presenting their findings.
You will have excellent communication skills, with the ability to simplify technical documentation for a wide audience.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone - reducing inequality, valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and respect. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
What we offer
In return we can offer true hybrid working to suit individual circumstances and a flexible, supportive and rewarding working environment.
• 28 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
• Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
• Staff volunteer days
• 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
• We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes
• Group Personal Pension scheme with a 5% or 6% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans
• Bike, computer and season ticket loans
• Discount benefits
• London Weighting Allowance of £4,195 for all those living within a London Borough (32 local authority districts plus the City of London)
• Death in Service benefit – 3 x annual Salary
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
• Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday)
• Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 08 October 2023
• Interviews will take place via MS Teams on the 17 October 2023
To apply, please complete our online application form. More details of our vacancies can be found at sustrans.org.uk/about-us/vacancies.
At Sustrans you'll be part of a movement to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
We're all here to change things! You’ll be part of an incredible community of talented, passionate, creative, problem solvers all working together to change things for the better. We act locally and think big - we have a vision of a society where the way we travel creates healthier places and happier lives for everyone.
You'll be questioning the status quo and daring to imagine a different world. You'll work on exciting, impactful projects that will stretch and empower you and you'll be rewarded by seeing the difference you make to people, communities and the planet.
We believe including everyone is central to who we are and what we want to achieve, we welcome difference and pride ourselves on creating a culture where you can be yourself and where your wellness is supported.
You'll be guaranteed to make friends for life and work with a team that is incredibly flexible, supportive, ethical and fun.