About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced project manager with a focus on delivery, to make a difference by directly tackling the barriers that prevent people from travelling more actively and sustainably.
As a Network Development Coordinator, you will liaise with our partner organisations and commission work packages, developing and overseeing the delivery of our infrastructure projects on the National Cycle Network (NCN).
This role is an integral part of our Network Development Team, delivering Sustrans’ ’Paths for Everyone’ vision of a network of traffic-free paths for everyone, connecting cities, towns and countryside, loved by the communities they serve.
Here are some projects we have been involved in delivering:
Loanhead path extension:
Monklands Canal towpath surfacing:
You will visit sites across Scotland, identifying opportunities to improve the Network and following progress on projects being delivered.
Building and managing internal and external relationships with key people is vital; such as representatives from within local authorities, community and volunteer groups, and partners such as Environmental Trusts, Scottish Canals and other active travel delivery organisations.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects on behalf of Sustrans. We offer true hybrid working with a mix of home and Hub working to suit individual circumstances. Our main Hubs are located in Edinburgh and Glasgow.
You should have the ability to build relationships with ease across a wide range of people from varied backgrounds enabling engagement with various partners and interested parties.
Your excellent communication skills will allow you to engage efficiently and successfully with diverse communities, members of the public, contractors and those within local authorities alike, whether that be through engaging face to face, presenting to groups, responding to enquiries or report writing.
Experienced in project management and delivery, we ask you to demonstrate your knowledge of transport and active travel infrastructure delivery and best practise. In addition, you will have relevant experience of working within transport, transport consultancy or within the construction sector, to help you effectively advocate for sustainable transport and better places across the region.
We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups. Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone - reducing inequality, valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and respect.
What we offer
In return we can offer ongoing working from home (or a nearby Sustrans Hub when it’s safe to do so) and a truly flexible, supportive and rewarding working environment.
• 26 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
• Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
• Staff volunteer days
• 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
• We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes
• Group Personal Pension scheme with a 5% or 6% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans
• Bike, computer, and season ticket loans
• Discount benefits
• London Weighting Allowance of £4,195 for all those living within a London Borough (32 local authority districts plus the City of London)
• Death in Service benefit – 3 x annual Salary
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
• Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday)
• Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 02 July 2023 October
• Interviews will take place via MS Teams on 10 and 11th July 2023
• To apply, please complete our online application form. More details of our vacancies can be found at sustrans.org.uk/about-us/vacancies.
At Sustrans you'll be part of a movement to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
We're all here to change things! You’ll be part of an incredible community of talented, passionate, creative, problem solvers all working together to change things for the better. We act locally and think big - we have a vision of a society where the way we travel creates healthier places and happier lives for everyone.
You'll be questioning the status quo and daring to imagine a different world. You'll work on exciting, impactful projects that will stretch and empower you and you'll be rewarded by seeing the difference you make to people, communities and the planet.
We believe including everyone is central to who we are and what we want to achieve, we welcome difference and pride ourselves on creating a culture where you can be yourself and where your wellness is supported.
You'll be guaranteed to make friends for life and work with a team that is incredibly flexible, supportive, ethical and fun.