The Big Issue is looking to appoint a number of people to a brand-new role supporting our vendors. One of these roles will be based in our Edinburgh office. The Support and Outreach Worker will be a leading role in our belief of “A Hand Up Not a Hand Out”, and has been created to improve our service to vendors, helping them to increase their income through selling our magazine and providing casework support.
You will also positively promote The Big Issue in your local area, build partnerships with third-party organisations and identify and promote opportunities all with the aim of moving people out of poverty.
To offer our vendors the best possible support you will have experience and knowledge of working with vulnerable adults in a frontline setting, along with the ability to offer effective sales advice and guidance.
Full details of the role including key responsibilities and required skills and experience are available in the Job Description.
In April 2023, the Big Issue Group launched a community interest company, Big Issue Changing Lives, to support more people affected by poverty and increase the impact of our services. Big Issue Changing Lives C.I.C. provides vendors with the end-to-end support they need including sales set up and support, access to health and wellbeing services, and employment opportunities.
Salary and Benefits offered:
• Salary of £25,700 per annum
• Incremental holiday entitlement starting at 25 days per year plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time staff) plus paid leave to care for a sick child or grandchild and a sick or elderly relation
• Company Sick Pay
• Enhanced contribution to our workplace pension
• Enhanced maternity pay
• Training and development opportunities including an open learning library and management training schemes
• Health benefits include life cover, a health cash plan scheme which provides access to counselling and a range of therapies
• Please note that we reserve the right to review and amend our staff benefits and they do not form part of any contract of employment
This role will be based at our Big Issue office in Edinburgh but you will be mostly be working out and about within the community.
To find out more and apply please visit our website
Closing date - 26th February 2024 (23:59pm)
Big Issue Group is striving towards Equal Opportunities. We particularly welcome applications from those who are underrepresented in our sector, such as women in senior roles, and people with disabilities and from Black and Minority Ethnic communities.
Since 1991, The Big Issue has fought poverty by creating opportunities and supporting people to take control of their lives. Over time our organisation has grown and now The Big Issue Group consists of The Big Issue Company Ltd, Big Issue Invest Ltd, our social investment arm, and Big Issue Changing Lives Community Interest Company.
For enquiries, please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org