The Royal Scottish Forestry Society, formed in 1854, is an educational charity focussing on promoting the understanding of trees, woods and forestry. Every year RSFS puts on what we believe to be the most extensive programme of practical forestry events across Scotland. This activity is being expanded into practical training events.
The Society has published a semi-academic journal, Scottish Forestry, since 1858 promoting all aspects of good practice in forestry. All back issues are available to Members via our website.
The Society has a mix of individual and organisational Members. Our membership includes professional foresters and managers, woodlands owners and many others with an interest in trees and woods.
RSFS is also the parent entity of Cashel Forest Trust, a charity based near Balmaha, in East Loch Lomond. Cashel Forest Trust owns a 1,300-hectare estate comprising a visitor centre, 5 km of recreational paths, a hydro-electric scheme, 300 Ha of native woodland, 500 Ha of peatland under restoration and 500 Ha of montane and open hillside. Cashel welcomes more than 10,000 visitors a year with an interest in natural ecosystems, native woodland and citizen science.
Who we are looking for
We are seeking up to 2 new trustees. Applications of those with experience of the following areas will be prioritised:
• Communications, stakeholder engagement and public relations ;
• Learning and development programmes in the context of CPD.
We would like applicants to:
• Empathise with our vision, mission and aims;
• Demonstrate a willingness and ability to devote the necessary time and effort;
• Experience of exercising sound and independent judgement;
• Think and apply knowledge creatively and strategically;
• Keep themselves and the charity mission-focused;
• Analyse and evaluate information and other evidence in the execution of their duties.
Get in touch
If you would like to have a discussion in advance of making an application, please contact our President, Wilma Harper or our Treasurer, Tom Mitchell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a call. No agencies.
An application pack can be obtained by registering your interest by email at email@example.com.
Early application encouraged. The closing date for applications is 26th February 2024. Interviews will take place on 18th March 2024.