Energy Saving Trust is an independent organisation working to address the climate emergency.
Energy Saving Trust is a leading and trusted organisation, dedicated to promoting energy efficiency, low carbon transport and sustainable energy use. We aim to address the climate emergency and deliver the wider benefits of clean energy as we transition to net zero.
At Energy Saving Trust we don’t just offer jobs – we offer careers. For our people, being part of the effort to address the climate emergency makes working for us truly meaningful and rewarding.
As well as investing in our mission, we invest in our people and culture. We’re committed to creating an engaging, supportive and inclusive workplace for all and providing opportunities for development, training and growth. We also provide a range of benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme and a wellbeing allowance. Please see our careers page for more information on why Energy Saving Trust is a great place to work.
The Compliance team are one of the key support services which serve as an anchor in our organisation. We lead on advice in data protection, financial conduct and maintain the organisation’s Integrated Management System (IMS); made up of the quality, environmental, energy, and information security standards.
As a team we believe in walking the walk for our organisation. We are therefore consistently reviewing and challenging ourselves to be the best we can be to support the organisation in fulfilling its ambitions to address the climate emergency. This has created a team full of engaged, passionate and super supportive team members.
If successful, you will not just be joining a team, but becoming part of our culture. With regular check in calls and weekly fun quizzes, we make sure we are there for each other in all we do and can pull together to deliver for our people.
The Data Protection Officer role presents an exciting opportunity to advance your career in data protection, information security and privacy. You will provide day to day support and advice across the organisation for all matters relating to data protection, support the Compliance and Accreditation Manager and chair our Information Governance group. You will lead our Data Protection Team with one direct report and be an integral part of the IT and Compliance team.
You will play a vital role in ensuring our organisation is continuously improving its approach to data protection and providing staff with sufficient training on, and awareness of, key compliance issues.
What you’ll do
• Lead the development, review and continual improvement of policies and procedures, and monitor organisational compliance
• Lead the data protection team, managing our Data Protection Assistant
• Lead the delivery of in-house training and the development of training packages for the organisation
• Coordinate and support with responses to information requests such as Subject Access
• Use information to analyse and report on trends, identify risks, and assist business areas with risks assessment to guide their activities and target resources
• Log and investigate reports of noncompliance and support business areas to resolve them
• Play an active role in the internal audit function in conducting routine audits, and producing audit reports for senior management.
What you’ll bring
• 2-3 years’ experience of working in a data protection role
• Data protection qualification (such as a practitioner certificate)
• An honest and trustworthy approach with strong interpersonal skills, comfortable liaising with varying levels of seniority
• Capable and comfortable with Office 365 applications
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proactive with good initiative
• Have a coaching approach to line-management
• Strong interpersonal skills, comfortable liaising with varying levels of seniority.
This is a permanent position. Our standard weekly hours are 37.5 hours, Monday to Friday. As standard we offer all contracts on blended (home and office-based) working.
In your cover letter please explain how you meet the essential areas in the job description. Please state the job reference you are applying for in the subject line. Applications submitted without a covering letter will not be considered.
Applications close 9am, 19th October 2023. Interviews are intended to be held week commencing 23 October 2023.
If you think you may need additional support or adjustments made to any part of the application/recruitment process, please get in touch.
The majority of our people are working from home but have access to our office locations – Edinburgh, London, Cardiff and Belfast. We will we be happy to discuss this and our blended working model at the interview stage with you.
Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Our commitment to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace
To address the urgent challenges posed by the climate emergency, we need a diversity of people, experiences and ideas. We strongly encourage applicants from a wide range of backgrounds and with different identities and experiences to apply for roles with Energy Saving Trust. If there is anything we can do to support you in applying, please get in touch with us. Please note that we will always ensure that a fair recruitment process is followed for all candidates and appointments will be made based on merit.