Inspired to make a positive impact on young people’s lives? Do you have the skills to engage, inspire and progress
young people aged 16-24 towards a positive destination? If the answer to these questions is yes…Then read on –
we may just be the perfect fit!
We are an innovative and exciting organisation who INSPIRE young people across Scotland to realise their potential
and we are looking for someone who shares our passion and commitment to achieve this through delivery of a
variety of vocational and employability themed programmes.
This is a full time (35hrs per week) role, and the successful applicant will have experience in delivering training
and supporting individuals into a positive destination.
Context and Purpose
RUTS is committed to providing vocational training and other support of the highest quality to young people using
innovative solutions. The successful candidate will support the achievement of RUTS employability targets and
outcomes by delivering focused employability training that will assist participants to secure progression
opportunities. These will include but are not limited to employment, education, and further training
opportunities. They will deliver group employability and personal development workshops and qualifications,
establish, and maintain partnerships with referral agencies and develop links with the colleges and employers to
secure suitable opportunities for our young people.
There is scope to further develop this post creatively with young people. This is not an exhaustive list; you will be
required to contribute to the development of this exciting role in collaboration with the Senior Employability
Worker and wider staff team.
The individual will be enthusiastic and committed to working with young people, supporting them to identify and
remove barriers and helping them to successfully move into positive destinations and achieve better
Values based -
The individual will share RUTS values:
- Innovative – Encouraging and nurturing ideas.
- Networks – Connecting and building
- Seamless – Providing effective service delivery through joined up
- Participative – Collaborating in the design and implementation of services
- Inclusive –
Encouraging diversity, welcoming individuals from all communities
- Responsive – Anticipating change and
adapting our services to meet needs
- Empowering – Enabling people to reach their potential
We have a friendly and professional ethos, with a strong commitment to quality and innovation, both in terms of the
services and products we provide and the way we work together.
- Work with young people to identify barriers to positive destinations and empower them to achieve
in the development of activities which support young people to develop work-based skills, life skills and
- Deliver and facilitate a range of employability and vocational programmes and
- Support young people who may have had a poor experience of education and consequently
have difficulties with literacy, self-esteem and communication.
- Maintain knowledge of opportunities
available to young people who wish to pursue a career in a related field.
- Develop and maintain employer
relationships to facilitate work experience and/or employment opportunities
- Expand networks with other
training and education providers
- Maintain written records of the work undertaken for the purposes of
- Obtain evidence to support progression outcomes and achievement
- Manage own time and
support the delivery of objectives and targets ensuring the development of professional practice and updating
personal knowledge of local and national employability initiatives.
- Continuously demonstrate and develop
better understanding of ethical issues in relation to working with young people. (eg. Confidentiality, Child
Protection and equal opportunities, etc.)
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by
your changing role within the organisation and its overall objectives.
Required skills and experience:
- Able to demonstrate coaching/mentoring experience and persuasion/influencing skills through previous work or
- Experience or knowledge of local and national employability
- Excellent communication, planning and organisational skills and the ability to manage your
own time effectively
- Any relevant vocational and/or training qualification e.g. CIAG, Assessor/Verifier
– Or willing to work towards this
- Proficient IT literacy (use of Microsoft applications such as Word,
Excel, Teams and Zoom)
- Flexible can-do attitude
- Commitment to Continued Personal Development
(through both in-house, external, and self-guided learning/training)
- Current full UK car driving
- Membership of PVG scheme (upon appointment)
- Experience of working in a performance target driven environment
- Experience or understanding of SQA/SCQF
qualifications structure or development
- Occasional out of hours working
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties, and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by
the organisation and its overall objectives
To apply, please send an up-to-date CV and cover letter detailing why you believe you fit the requirements of the
role to firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal chat or if you have any questions around any aspect of the role please get in touch with Asher on
0131 663 5736