Do you want to help us transform lives through reading and writing?
Scottish Book Trust is looking for a self-motivated Finance Officer to join their Operations team.
Scottish Book Trust is a national charity that believes books, reading and writing have the power to change lives. A
love of reading inspires creativity, improves employment opportunities, mental health and wellbeing and is one
of the most effective ways to help break the poverty cycle. We work towards a Scotland where everyone has an
equal opportunity to thrive through literacy.
What we offer:
- Part time, permanent role (17.5 hours /week, we are open to a discussion about flexible working
- Competitive salary (Band 3: £23,000 - £28,349 FTE, pro-rated to £11,500 - £
- Flexible hybrid working between home and our Edinburgh City Centre office, with great access
by train, bus, and tram
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Company Sick Pay
- Pension with
additional 5% employer contributions
- Death in service benefit
- Free access to employee assistance
About the role
This is an excellent opportunity for you to support Scottish Book Trust as a Finance Officer. The position offers
flexible part-time working within our Operations Team.
The Finance Officer works closely with the Finance Accounts Manager, to ensure that accurate and timely financial
processes and records are maintained, and that financial controls are implemented.
The first point of contact for managing all financial transactions with SBT’s customers, the post also supports and
guides SBT staff in their financial processing responsibilities.
- Accurate and timely recording of transactions in the finance system (Sage Line 50)
- processing sales
invoices, coding and VAT allocation
- processing expense claims and credit card
- allocating income from our Commercial activity
- Upholding the financial controls
of the organisation, including ensuring sufficient supporting documentation and authorisation for income and
expenditure is valid and properly stored for audit purposes
- Maintaining and managing the sales
- Maintaining an effective credit control policy, liaising with SBT staff to manage outstanding
- Responding to customer enquiries regarding account balances and
- Supporting SBT staff to carry out their financial processing responsibilities effectively,
reporting any concerns to the Finance Accounts Manager
- Monitoring company credit cards and reconciling
- Reconcile sales ledger to trial balance
- Maintaining and reconciling claims expenses
system and petty cash.
- Promoting Scottish Book Trust’s good reputation in all dealings with the public,
bank, customers and others
- Support the general work of the Operations Team including providing cover for
the Finance Accounts Manager and Office Manager as required.
You will have:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in an accounts or book-keeping role, preferably with experience of Sage 50
- Strong numerical skills, with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent administration skills
- Ability to use initiative to plan, organise and prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work flexibly to meet changing demands
- Ability to problem-solve with minimal supervision
- Ability to build productive relationships with colleagues and customers.
- Excellent team-working skills
- Good knowledge and ability in use of MS Office (particularly Excel and Word)
- To be conscientious, trustworthy and responsible