AMIS (Abused Men In Scotland) is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) raising awareness of men’s experience of domestic abuse and the need for greater recognition and support for men (and their children) affected by it. AMIS is Scotland’s only national helpline service specifically for men in this situation.
Since 2010 AMIS has offered confidential support, information and signposting to men experiencing domestic abuse. We support any man aged 16+, including individuals who identify as men, regardless of ethnic origin, dis/ability, age, sexual orientation, or any other attribute. AMIS also advocates for male victims through training, education, media, and engages with policy makers through meetings, fora and consultations.
Support is offered by telephone, email and virtual one to one meetings. The service is being developed to include online chat and may later include other platforms.
Membership of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme will be required for the successful candidates.
These posts will be funded by the National Lottery for a period of three years initially, with the term to be extended subject to further funding being secured.
Main Purpose of job:
• The Helpline Support Officer (HSO) will provide accessible, high-quality, responsive, long-term, short-term and crisis support to male survivors of domestic abuse, their friends, family and related professionals,
• By telephone, online and by email.
• Ensuring that risk and safety are assessed and supported in an ongoing way, in line with organisational policy and practice.
• Collaborating and working with other internal and external partners to develop AMIS’ systems and services.
• Adhering to client support policy and protocol while accurately maintaining helpline administrative systems and engaging in team meetings group supervisions sessions and personal development support.
Responsible to: Services Manager
Place of work: The job is based at the AMIS office in Mayfield, Dalkeith, with home working with agreement as appropriate. Occasional travel may be required.
• Year 1: £23,100 pro rata for 19 hours - £12,540,
• Year 2: £24,233 pro rata for 19 hours - £13,155
• Year 3: £24,507 pro rata for 19 hours - £13,304
Contract: 3-year fixed contract, including 3 months’ probationary period
Working hours: General office hours with some evening /weekend work as required
Annual Leave: 24 days plus 12 statutory days (pro rata).
Please complete the attached application form and equalities monitoring form. These should be attached to an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Helpline Support Officer’ in the subject line.
Closing Date for applications: Midday on Monday 14th November 2022
Provisional date for interviews: Thursday 24th November 2022
Interviews will be held at a central Edinburgh location, to be confirmed.
We will acknowledge receipt of your application by email. If you do not hear again from us within 14 days of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. Please note that we can only provide feedback to shortlisted candidates.
Find out more about AMIS