Join us as our new Schools Coordinator (West of Scotland) to help create a social enterprise in every school in Scotland in the next 3 years.
In their 10 year Strategy for Social Enterprise, the Scottish Government announced its ambition to see a social enterprise in every school in Scotland. We have been tasked with leading on the delivery of this goal.
“If you could create a business to solve any social issue in your community, country or the world, what would it be?” This is what we ask young people across Scotland every year. The result? Innovative social enterprises that are completely pupil-led and solving the issues that matter most to them.
From making sustainable crafts to funding community defibrillators to tackling local unemployment through computer coding classes, these young people are stepping up, taking action and demanding change.
Since the Social Enterprise in Education programme began we’ve had over 1,600 school engagements across Scotland and in that time we have seen young people change how they see themselves and grow hugely in confidence while building essential skills for the future. We work with nurseries, primary and secondary schools and schools for young people with additional support needs.
Your role will be to support this activity from our Edinburgh head office, supporting facilitators and social entrepreneurs to work with the schools to make this vision a reality. As part of a highly motivated team, this opportunity offers variety, satisfaction and a great opportunity to be part of something that is making a difference to Scotland.
Having the right mind-set, attitude and approach is as important for us as having the right experience and skills. We appreciate that the best person might not have all the listed criteria yet, so if you feel your experience and skills will help you to make a great contribution in this role and you have the right mind-set, we would welcome an application from you.
• To work closely with the Education Manager and the rest of the Education team to coordinate the roll-out of Social Enterprise Schools in your area.
• To provide excellent customer service, relationship building and coordination skills to support schools throughout the Academic year and at key Education events during the year.
• To ensure that young people and teachers get the best possible experience taking part in Social Enterprise Schools.
• Take ownership of the schools in your area, supporting existing schools, promoting Social Enterprise Schools and recruiting new schools
• Act as the first point of enquiry for teachers and schools, providing information about Social Enterprise Schools, support to get started, background information and mapping to Curriculum for Excellence and other school-based initiatives
• Support schools applying for our Social Enterprise Academy Awards, sharing appropriate resources and local contacts to assist schools, supporting them to develop business plans
• Use technology systems to provide statistical information on a quarterly basis as required by your Education Manager, the Education team and by key stakeholders
• Work with the Education Marketing and Communications Officer to raise the profile of Social Enterprise Schools, obtain material and input to promote the programme, including content for case studies, Education Showcase and annual Schools Special of the Big Issue Magazine
• Continually work with and support other Education Team members and Education Facilitators to increase impact and ensure young people and teachers have an amazing experience taking part in Social Enterprise Schools
• Work closely with the Education Manager to represent the Social Enterprise Academy at events in your area, at networking opportunities and whilst working with partners
To see the full job description and set of criteria please download the recruitment pack from our website.
At the Social Enterprise Academy, we believe in the power of learning and development to transform people of all ages to be agents of change.
Since 2004, we have facilitated over 78,000 social entrepreneurs globally to help create fairer communities where people have equitable access to opportunities.
Through our social franchising model we have been scaling our impact and we want to increase this number to 10 million social entrepreneurs globally by 2030. Through our International Accelerator Fund we will build a financially sustainable hub network to increase the ripples of change taking place in communities around the world.
By providing them with the real life experience of running their own social enterprise, we are also empowering young people to become the future makers and job creators of their countries through our Social Enterprise Schools programme. Young people around the world are developing key future skills such as creativity, social entrepreneurship and financial literacy to ensure maximum sustainability and impact in their schools, communities and beyond.
1. Complete our application form and equality and diversity monitoring form
2. Send your application form and equality and diversity monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1pm Monday 27 June 2022
3. Please note that interviews will be held 04 – 06 July 2022 via Zoom
More information available at: socialenterprise.academy/scot/join-the-team
If you have any questions or if you would like to discuss any reasonable adjustments for the application or interview process please get in touch: