About the role
We have an exciting opportunity to work with us as a Delivery Officer for our Active Travel Hub in Kilmarnock.
The Hub has been running since 2015 in partnership with East Ayrshire Council and Ayrshire Road Alliance. The purpose of the Active Travel Hub is to promote walking, cycling and sustainable travel modes in the East Ayrshire community by delivering various initiatives including events, led-rides, walks, cycle lessons and bike maintenance classes.
You will be responsible for encouraging workplaces, residents, visitors and community groups to choose active travel for short journeys.
We offer a flexible mix of working from the Travel Hub and on occasion from home. The 15 hours can be carried out in a flexible way and this may suit someone who has caring responsibilities Although funding is for 15 hours currently, there is a possibility of an increase to hours from April 2023.
You will be a driven individual, passionate about active travel and supporting and motivating others to make positive changes to everyday journeys, to benefit themselves, their local community, and the environment. You should be self-motivated and able to work independently to manage a varied workload.
Building relationships and communicating effectively are key to this role. You will be need to maintain relationships with a wide range of organisations, groups and individuals.
Ideally, you will have worked on physical activity, behavioural change, environmental or community based projects, communicating with a wide range of people including young people.
You will be a skilled communicator, able to adapt your approach to engage and meet the needs of diverse audiences and have experience of planning and delivering various activities. In this role you will use those skills to deliver demand led activities, such as: led-rides, walks, cycle lessons and bike maintenance classes for the users of the Hub.
Sustrans has a long-term commitment to being a charity for everyone - reducing inequality, valuing diversity, enabling inclusion and ensuring all people are treated with dignity and respect. We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
What we offer
In return we can offer true hybrid working to suit individual circumstances and a flexible, supportive and rewarding working environment.
• 28 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
• Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
• Staff volunteer days
• 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
• We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes
• Group Personal Pension scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans
• Bike, computer and season ticket loans
• Discount benefits
• London Weighting Allowance - For all colleagues who live in London (within the M25) an additional annual allowance of £3,995 will be paid.
• Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
• Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday)
To find out more visit our website
• Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, Sunday 04 December.
• Interviews will take place via MS Teams on 13 December 2022
• A full valid UK Driving License is an essential criteria for this role.
At Sustrans you'll be part of a movement to make it easier for people to walk and cycle.
We're all here to change things! You’ll be part of an incredible community of talented, passionate, creative, problem solvers all working together to change things for the better. We act locally and think big - we have a vision of a society where the way we travel creates healthier places and happier lives for everyone.
You'll be questioning the status quo and daring to imagine a different world. You'll work on exciting, impactful projects that will stretch and empower you and you'll be rewarded by seeing the difference you make to people, communities and the planet.
We believe including everyone is central to who we are and what we want to achieve, we welcome difference and pride ourselves on creating a culture where you can be yourself and where your wellness is supported.
You'll be guaranteed to make friends for life and work with a team that is incredibly flexible, supportive, ethical and fun.