Humanist Society Scotland is looking for someone with a proven talent for engaging and effective communications. The
successful candidate will lead the wide-reaching communications of Scotland’s national charity for people
seeking an ethical, rational and secular future. This is an exciting role that focuses on the Society’s aim to
grow awareness of
Humanism in Scotland to new audiences, as well as focussing on our key campaigns and ensuring the public are aware of
the services offered by the Society.
As part of a small team of national staff, the Communications Manager is responsible for managing all communications
and marketing activities, both at a strategic level and on a day-to-day basis.
Humanist Society Scotland offer benefits of 6% employers pension contributions, 35 days annual leave (pro-rata for
part-time), winter flu jab and telephone counselling care.
- Develop new strategies and projects to increase knowledge and understanding of Humanism in
- Plan and implement Humanist Society Scotland media strategy, with defined objectives and
- Supervise the production of content for all communication channels, including
website, social media, magazine, podcast, campaign communications and supporter e-newsletter.
of digital marketing and online messaging to strengthen knowledge of brand and work of the Society.
and arrange annual member and supporter in-person conference and other ad-hoc online events.
to the production of content as required.
- Identify, plan and deliver effective online and offline
campaigns that contribute to our strategic goals and objectives.
- Manage press and media activity,
including working proactively with partners, internal and external stakeholders to boost awareness of the
Society and its work.
- Drive fundraising activities and membership recruitment
- Line management
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in communication and/or marketing / digital
- Experience of policy/campaign and/or public awareness campaigning.
- Ability to design
communications that will recruit, engage and motivate members, supporters and other key
- Experience of working with the press and media.
- Experience of successful social
media usage to promote a brand/organisation
- Excellent communication skills – both written and
- Ability to represent Humanist Society Scotland with the press/media.
- Ability to work
flexibly and independently in response to rapidly changing external events.
- Strong analytical
- Strong planning and strategy skills.
- Experience of project management.
computer, web and social media skills.
- Interest in Humanism and sympathy with aims and objectives of the
- Experience of developing and implementing media strategy.
- Experience of managing
- Experience of fundraising.
- Experience of working in the charitable
- Experience of using a CRM system.
- Relevant training/qualification.
Managed By: Chief Executive
Closing Date: 4th December 2022
Interview date: 8th December 2022
Please send a CV and cover letter which demonstrates how you meet the person specification to