• Salary: £32,000 pro rata.
• Contract type: This is a part-time position and a one-year fixed term contract, with the possibility of extension depending on funding.
• Benefits: Flexible working hours; 8% employer pension contribution; 25 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays.
• Hours: 2.5 days per week. Future Economy Scotland is a 4-day week accredited organisation, and the salary for this role reflects an equivalent uplift in salary for part-time staff. Working days for this role are negotiable between Monday and Thursday to accommodate other employment, caring or other responsibilities.
• Location: Anywhere in Scotland. Please note, employees currently work from home, but should you prefer to work from an office, we are open to resourcing a co-working space, budget permitting
• Reporting to: Co-Director.
About the organisation
Future Economy Scotland is a non-partisan think tank that aims to create a new economy that is democratic, sustainable and just. We believe that Scotland cannot overcome the intertwined challenges it faces by making minor tweaks to the status quo, or by simply ameliorating the worst excesses of a broken model. Instead, we must embrace bold new ideas to transform the economy. Our mission is to develop transformative policies that aim to decarbonise, democratise and decommodify Scotland’s economy. Future Economy Scotland has organisational values that aim to underpin our work. These values are:
• Solidarity: understanding different but often interconnected struggles;
• Generosity: operating in a movement-generous way that amplifies the voices of others; and
• Respect: rooting the way we work in care, compassion and sustainability.
Future Economy is looking for an experienced and highly organised Executive Assistant to provide operational and administrative support to the Co-Directors and maximise the organisation’s impact. The role is an opportunity to join a small, dynamic and purpose-driven team focused on driving progressive change across Scotland. The role involves working closely with the Co-Directors in a fast paced environment, ensuring that the organisation functions effectively and produces high-quality, impactful work.
• Maintaining a filing system for key financial documents (invoices, receipts, expenses and grants) to be processed by our accountants
• Managing diaries and organising internal and external meetings, travel and accommodation
• Managing Future Economy Scotland’s external email inbox
• Purchasing office supplies
• Developing and maintaining a filing system by keeping the GoogleDrive organised
• Providing administrative support for Board meetings (scheduling, arranging logistics, assisting with Board papers and taking minutes)
• Keeping track of key financial and reporting deadlines
• Ensuring company insurance is up-to-date
• Carrying out health and safety assessments where needed
• Managing administrative tasks for online and in-person events (e.g., a political party conference fringe event or the Eventbrite invitation for a webinar)
1. A strong commitment to Future Economy Scotland’s mission and values
2. Experience in a similar or related role (this does not need to have been at a think tank or in the third sector)
3. Excellent organisational and time management skills, and the ability to prioritise tasks appropriately
4. Experience taking and disseminating effective meeting minutes
5. A good knowledge of using organisational filing systems (like Google Workspace)
6. Calendar management skills
7. The ability to work effectively in a small team and an excellent interpersonal communicator
8. A commitment to anti oppression in the workplace
Nice to haves but not essential
• Experience using Eventbrite
• Experience using Xero
• Experience using Google Drive
• Experience organising Zoom webinars
How to apply
To apply for this role, please submit a two page (maximum) CV. Your CV should include:
• Your full name and contact details;
• present and previous employment - including voluntary work - providing the job title and the period you worked there;
• a brief description of the main duties and achievement for each in bullet form;
• and education and training.
Please also submit a cover letter of no more than two pages demonstrating your suitability for the role and clearly addressing each of the points in the person specification. Do not repeat your career history here. Instead, address the points in the person specification, outlining the skills and abilities you have developed, referring to clear examples for each. Do not forget to include other relevant experience outside paid work that may contribute to meeting the person specification, such as community, voluntary, and other interests.
The cover letter and CV should be combined into one PDF document and returned to email@example.com. Please also complete Future Economy Scotland’s equality and diversity monitoring form and attach it in a separate document to your CV and cover letter. Those involved in interviewing and/or deciding who to hire will not have access to this information.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is midnight on Thursday 30 November 2023. Successful applicants will be invited to attend an interview that will take place over Zoom w/c 11 December 2023.
If you have any special requirements that would allow you to participate more fully in the interview, please let us know when you are invited to the interview.
Future Economy Scotland wants to be an inclusive workplace. We recognise people from oppressed and marginalised groups and backgrounds are structurally underrepresented in the sector and we are committed to tackling this. If you need information in a different format please let us know. Please note that we are unable to sponsor visas, so applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
As a small team, we are unfortunately unable to provide feedback to candidates that are not invited to the interview stage. All unsuccessful candidates who have attended an interview will be contacted by email and offered the opportunity to receive constructive feedback.
If you are considering applying but you have questions or require any further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org