Help us Empower Survivors of Sexual Violence
Role:We are recruiting a Treasurer to join our Board.
Background:Forth Valley Rape Crisis Centre (FVRCC) provides specialist support for anyone, age 13+, affected
by sexual violence in the Forth Valley area.
Vision and services:As a feminist organisation our ultimate vision is a world where everyone is safe from
sexual violence. Our overarching vision and values guide us to ensures that safety and wellbeing is always at
the core of our activities which include one to one support by phone, on-line or in person; group support and
social activities; criminal justice advocacy; and prevention and raising awareness.
What we are looking for: Whether you are an experienced Treasurer or looking to take up the position for the first
time, we want to hear from you. You do not have to be a qualified accountant for the role, but an ability to
read and understand financial statements and knowledge of financial risks and processes is important. The key
skills required for the role are:
- An understanding of good governance and financial management systems and processes.
- An understanding of
financial risk, particularly the challenges faced by third sector organisation.
- An ability to read and
interpret financial data, including annual accounts, management accounts, budget data, and financial
- An ability to explain financial data, risks, and matters to the wider Board in an accessible
- An ability to build effective and collaborative working relationships.
- A commitment to
feminism and feminist governance.
- A commitment to eradicating the issues around sexual
Roles and responsibilities:
Our Treasurer will lead on the following areas for the Board of Trustees.
- Monitor the financial health and administration of FVRCC in close collaboration with the CEO and staff
- ensure appropriate financial systems and processes and in place, that proper accounting records
are kept, and that financial resources are properly invested and economically spent.
- Advise on the
financial implications of the FVRCC’s strategic plan and significant operational decisions.
- With the
support of the wider finance, audit, and risk sub-committee and Board, oversee FVRCC’s risk management
Budgets and banking:
- The annual budget is prepared by the CEO, but the Treasurer should support the process, providing insight and
challenge and making a recommendation to the Board on the approval of the annual budget.
- Acting as a
counter signatory on cheques and applications to funders as required.
Governance and reporting:
- Attend and contribute to quarterly Board meetings.
- Chair quarterly meetings of the finance, audit, and
- Overseeing and presenting budgets, internal management accounts, annual financial
statements, and financial risks to the Board of trustees
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and external auditor to ensure the annual independent examination is completed
on time and in line with requirements.
- Support the Centre CEO in their engagement with and management of the bookkeeper.
- Work collaboratively
with the CEO and external auditor to ensure the annual independent examination of accounts is
We want our Board to reflect the community we support. To enhance the diversity of our Board we would particularly
like to hear from ethnic minorities, disabled people and marginalised groups.
How we will support you:
- A robust induction an on-boarding process. A handover and ongoing support will be provided by the previous
Treasurer and Chair, and the finance, audit, and risk sub-committee.
- On-going training
- Networking and development days with other Board Members in the Rape Crisis network to
develop Governance practice.
- Mentoring for anyone undertaking their first treasurer post.
Board meetings are held quarterly in the evenings (2.5hrs). Sub committees meet between Board meetings as needed,
usually quarterly (approx. 2hrs). Additional time commitments include training and development days once or
twice a year and responding to urgent issues as needed.
Deadline for applications: 2nd August
Interviews: w/c 9th August
For further information and to apply, please download the documents below.
For an informal chat with a current Board member please contact our Chair Rachel Maitland at