Who we are
Citizens Advice Edinburgh (CAE) is an independent charity delivering free, confidential, and impartial advice and support to people living and working in Edinburgh. We specialise in Welfare and Consumer Rights, Debt, Employment, Immigration, Housing, and Health.
• To provide the advice that people need for the problems they face
• To ensure that individuals do not suffer through not knowing about their rights and responsibilities and the services that are available.
About the role
Are you looking for an opportunity to contribute to your local community? If so, we have a vacancy for the post of Company Secretary to the Board of Trustee Directors. Whilst not a Board member position in itself, this post plays a vital and important role in overseeing Trustee Board governance as well as adherence to all statutory requirements of a registered charity.
• Ensuring that CAE as a company limited by guarantee complies with all the statutory requirements flowing from its status, including all filings with Companies House etc;
• Maintenance of all statutory registers, including Register of Directors;
• Ensuring that an Annual General Meeting takes place, as required by the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association, and that due notice is given;
• Providing advice on the company’s governance to the Board Chair and Trustee Directors;
• In consultation with the Chair, drawing up agendas for meetings, giving proper advance notice of meetings of the Board and arranging for the circulation of relevant papers;
• Drafting minutes of meetings of the Board and the AGM;
• Ensuring the minutes are circulated, signed and saved
• In line with our constitution, you must live or work in Edinburgh or its surrounding areas to be eligible for this position.
• You have experience or knowledge of acting as a secretary to boards or committees in the public, private or third sector
• You are looking for an opportunity to contribute to the vision, mission and values of a community organisation that provides vital help and support to local people
• You are inspired by the idea of developing, supporting and overseeing the governance of a valuable public service
• You are motivated to help address the needs of minority groups resident in the Edinburgh area
• You have the time, energy and commitment to dedicate to support the development of CAE strategic aims and goals
If this describes you, then CAE would love to hear from you
We are committed to Equal Opportunities and are looking to ensure we are representative and reflective of the communities we serve. We are particularly interested in speaking to people who have lived experience of our community and may have used Citizens Advice services themselves.
This non-remunerated role is both high profile and respected within the local community. It offers new challenges, learning opportunities and will broaden your networks.
There are usually eight Trustee Board meetings per year, starting at 6pm for about two hours, and held in a central location that has easy transport access. On occasion, these are instead held online.
Please email our chairperson, Pete Philp, at email@example.com with a copy of a brief CV and tell us the qualities and experience you could you bring to the role.