Charity registered in Scotland SC032327
This senior position is an opportunity for a Programmes professional to contribute to shaping an international development organisation addressing some of the most important issues of our time.
The Director of Programmes is responsible for the development, management and most of the funding of EMMS International’s programmes, and contributes to the corporate leadership of EMMS International through membership of its 4-person Leadership Team.
The post-holder shares with the CEO responsibility to maximise income from institutional donors, and shares with the CEO and other colleagues responsibility for maximising income from foundations. The post-holder may develop any other innovative, programmes-related generation of funds that may arise.
The post-holder has responsibility for shaping EMMS International’s programmatic specialisations in consultation with the CEO, based on greatest needs, and EMMS International’s track record, strategic plan, and vision of “A just world in which all people have access to good quality and dignified healthcare”.
Current specialisations are palliative care (often part of Non-Communicable Disease work), Healthcare Career Pathways (helping financially vulnerable women into college and healthcare jobs), solarising hospitals, and response to health emergencies in the areas aropund our partners. We also currently help reduce teenage pregnancies, help health facilities become more financially and environmentally sustainable, and tackle leprosy, all of which the post-holder could grow through successful proposals.
The CEO currently runs all Programmes; over time the post-holder will assume responsibility for shaping the Programmes portfolio and mainly funding it, with details to be worked out with the successful candidate and depending on workload and funding opportunities.
EMMS International is a non-denominational Christian non-governmental organisation (NGO) that works with partners in Malawi, India, and Nepal to improve health and healthcare there. We are now looking for a Director of Finance to take overall control and responsibility for all aspects of the finances, IT and property of the charity. As a member of the Leadership Team, you will play a key role in developing strategy. In 2022-23, EMMS’s income was £1.9 million and expenditure was £1.6 million.
This is a remote-working role with occasional travel to meet colleagues and trustees, likely in Edinburgh. You will be working 35 hours per week over 5 days, but 28 days per week over 4 days can be considered.
As Director of Finance at EMMS International, your responsibilities will include:
• Working with the CEO, Director of Fundraising and Board of Trustees to develop the strategy of the Charity and to define the path for sustainability and development of the organisation, ensuring particular consideration of financial evidence and analysis.
• Developing, refining and monitoring financial budgets and driving performance to maximise the impact of the charity in partnership with the Finance, Audit & Investment Committee
• Working with the Director of International Programmes and the Director of Fundraising to provide financial analyses to support their planning and decision-making.
• Leading on regulatory requirements in relation to year-end financial responsibilities and audit, Companies House, OSCR and data protection.
• Leading on contract negotiation and management with our main suppliers.
At EMMS International, we are looking for a Finance Director who has the following skills and experiences:
• Qualified accountant, member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
• Commercially astute, articulate and technically strong with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
• Excellent communication skills at all levels.
• Strong experience of charity finances.
• Ability to handle pressure and make effective decisions.
• High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
• Ability to travel abroad as required up to a maximum of 5 to 6 weeks in any given year.
Our staff team is a group of people with diverse skills and backgrounds, who support, complement, respect, value and encourage each other, in democratic, inclusive, accepting, open, equal and supportive manner. Individual staff, including therefore the Director of Finance, are expected to have sympathy with the Christian faith, and support our values.
Our staff team is a group of people with diverse skills and backgrounds, at diverse places on their faith journey, who support, complement, respect, value and encourage each other, in democratic, inclusive, accepting, open, equal, and supportive manner. It is desirable that the post-holder is part of a church community.
EMMS International is a non-denominational Christian non-governmental organisation (NGO) that with partners in Malawi, India, and Nepal to improve health and healthcare there. We are now looking for a Treasurer join our team. This is a voluntary position where you will be attending 8 meetings per year.
As a Treasurer at EMMS International, your responsibilities will include:
At EMMS International, we are looking for a Treasurer who has the following skills and experiences:
It is an occupational requirement working with EMMS International within the provisions of the Equality Act 2010 that the Treasurer is a practising Christian.
EMMS International is a non-denominational Christian non-governmental organisation (NGO) that with partners in Malawi, India and Nepal to improve health and healthcare there. We are now looking for a Director of Fundraising to join our team. This position offers a remote-working opportunity, 35 hours per week along with a salary of up to £58,223 per annum, a pension scheme, life assurance and 40 days holiday including 10 public and additional holidays.
You will be leading the strategy, building, reviewing and developing it to meet the needs of EMMS International’s overall strategy. The postholder plays a critical role in shaping the future of EMMS International, promoting an inspiring vision for philanthropy in EMMS and its networks, and overseeing all private fundraising.
As Director of Fundraising at EMMS International, your responsibilities will include:
· Strategy support, working with the CEO, Director of Finance and Board of Trustees to develop the strategy and the charity with particular consideration of private income generation.
· Leadership of the team, running appeals, leading production of all external publications and digital communications, including the website, ensuring the charity is fully equipped to establish a diversified and sustainable income base.
· Developing and implementing strategies that underpin the charity’s strategic goals, to bring in at least £687k of private income (at least £247k unrestricted and at least £440k restricted).
· Maximising income from a range of different sources including major donors, trusts and foundations, regular giving, appeals, events and community fundraising.
· Ensuring all funding applications are closely aligned to the strategic objectives and priorities of EMMS International.
· Researching, testing and, where appropriate, developing new ideas and opportunities for income generation.
· Creating and delivering an effective communications strategy and plan to build brand awareness, foster supporter engagement and attract new supporters.
· Managing the major gifts pipeline and take full responsibility for a portfolio of existing and potential major donors, nurturing strong relationships, developing, and implementing strategies to negotiate and secure major gifts.
· Being the main point of contact for both major donors and major donor prospects, adopting a proactive approach to identify, develop, and build a strong community of potential donors.
· Preparing regular management information reports on all aspects of the organisation’s activities, including performance against income generation targets and KPIs for the postholder’s own use, for the Leadership Team and for the Board of Trustees.
· Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of the external funding environment, identifying trends, and creating an environment that encourages innovative and ambitious fundraising.
· Keeping up to date and complying with current legislation and standards.
At EMMS International, we are looking for a Director of Fundraising who has the following skills and experiences:
· Proven ability to contribute effectively in strategic and operational decision-making.
· Evidence of leadership ability, to inspire, develop, and lead a team to be high-performing.
· A strong understanding of external communications.
· A strong knowledge of or proven ability to learn fast on international development.
· Excellent understanding of the fundraising mix.
· Ability to create ambitious, cost-effective strategies and campaigns.
· Experience gaining major gifts, sustaining a portfolio of funding relations.
· Evidence of ability in face-to-face asking.
· A creative and strategic approach to audience engagement and donor cultivation.
· Experience of building and maintaining positive working relations with stakeholders.
· Ability to manage time efficiently, delivering to deadline and balancing priorities.
· Excellent presentation, influencing and negotiating skills.
· Able to engage colleagues and board in donor cultivation.
· Knowledge of UK charitable giving, data protection, Codes of Practice.
· Proficient in working with a customer database, including Raiser’s Edge.
It is an occupational requirement working with EMMS International within the provisions of the Equality Act 2010 that the Director of Fundraising is a practising Christian, as the role involves regularly leading and contributing to team prayer meetings and other spiritual activities of a Christian nature.
The nature of this post is such that it will require some international and UK travel to support development and grow the charity's reputation. The charity currently operates in Malawi, Nepal, India and Edinburgh.
You will already be an incredible Charity Fundraiser ready to be a key player with responsibilities to run appeals, develop regular giving and legacies, recruit new supporters, provide first class supporter care, manage events and speak in church and other supporter meetings.
We have an incredible community of supporters and your job is to inspire more people to join this movement of change, working with them to bring hope for a better future and bringing holistic healthcare to those who battle poverty and sickness in hard-to-reach communities in Malawi, Nepal and India.
If you have a proven track record of at least three years in charity fundraising we’d love to hear from you. We're looking for a person who is a dedicated charity fundraiser looking for a fresh challenge of raising vital funds for our health projects.
We believe Every Life Matters. As an experienced international healthcare charity, we’re committed to helping transform lives through compassionate, effective, and sustainable healthcare, and guided by our Christian faith. We work closely with trusted partners in Malawi, Nepal and India to tackle inequalities for people who are excluded and marginalised by sickness and poverty through developing palliative care, reducing the impact of disease and responding to healthcare emergencies.
Our ideal Fundraising Manager
EMMS International is a non-denominational Christian charity. The post-holder will be committed to our Christian beliefs and values. The role involves talking and praying in churches and with supporters about our work and our shared Christian beliefs.