Social Enterprise Scotland are recruiting for a new Policy Officer to work with the Policy and Public Affairs Manager to inform, develop and undertake policy and research projects that will deliver the policy objectives of Social Enterprise Scotland and maximise the economic and social impact of the social enterprise movement in Scotland. Key responsibilities include monitoring and recording relevant policy news, consultations and research from local and national government and other policy bodies, administering our national policy forum – the cross-party group on Social Enterprise in The Scottish Parliament, co-ordinating and administering policy webinars, events and other forums, engaging members through blog posts, policy action alerts and outreach work, and managing policy interventions for members. More detailed information on the role can be found on the Job Description.
Social Enterprise Scotland are growing their Membership Team to support the successful delivery of member activities, events, campaigns and services and ensure that feedback from members is used to inform continuous development and improvement in the organisation and services. You will be expected to support the organisation and promotion of events across Scotland, contribute to relevant and timely content and data for the website, social media and marketing campaigns as well as maintaining and updating our membership CRM system. More detailed information on the role can be found on the Job Description.
The purpose of the job is to support the organisation to share its purpose, vision and mission to grow its reach through working with our Marketing & Design Lead and Director of Operations & Projects to deliver excellent and engaging communications and events that promote and support our work.
EVENTS COMMUNICATIONS & SUPPORT
WEBSITE & DESIGN
Work with the Marketing and Design lead in creating a tone of voice and brand guidelines document to support the wider team
Support the Marketing and Design Lead in website content updates where required, and in implementing a larger update of content, navigation and design.
Social Enterprise Scotland (SES) is Scotland’s national membership body and network for social enterprises. The organisation exists to support its members with news, information, advice, connections and events and to build networks between social enterprises and their peers and important stakeholders across Scotland. SES acts as an influencing voice for over 500 members on the issues that matter to them, raising the profile of social enterprises and their products and services to key audiences.
Members are made up of:
• Social enterprise members: from housing associations to training providers to catering and retailers, SES members operate in a breadth of industries and across Scotland.
• Start up members: at an earlier stage of their social enterprise journey with ambitious and creative ideas to address social issues. Start up members join when they are less than one year old and may or may not be constituted organisations.
• Associate members: a similarly diverse group of organisations – local authorities, businesses, funders – who want to support and access the SES network and help champion social enterprise as a better way of doing business for Scotland.
• Individual members, who might be sole-traders or passionate supporters of social enterprise.
A recent strategic review and restructure within SES has created the opportunity to add to the existing strength of the Leadership Team with the appointment of a Director of Services. The Director of Services is a newly created position, with a broad portfolio of responsibilities across strategic leadership, partnership development, operational oversight and a range of corporate support functions.
This role will have a specific focus on identifying and developing opportunities for growth, through building relationships with the commercial and corporate business sector.
Key responsibilities include:
• Operational leadership for all service provision, building on the SES outcomes focused approach
• Lead and develop the team through a period of transition, responding to the changing social enterprise and socially responsible business landscape
• Ensure SES members can maximise their community, social and commercial impact through the provision of the highest quality needs led services
• Influence policy development and raise profile at local and national levels
• Create and implement the strategic and annual plans for SES services and associated income generation
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of strategic and operational management at a senior level in a membership organisation or similar, combined with strong business and commercial awareness. It is thought that the individual will likely come with a strong understanding of the social enterprise movement, community wealth building and the business network in Scotland. Candidates should display a high degree of organisational skills, communication, diplomacy and emotional intelligence.
Social Enterprise Scotland is a membership organisation that supports, connects and promotes social enterprise organisations throughout Scotland.
In doing this we produce a weekly bulletin, run weekly webinars and work with a variety of stakeholders to represent and support the social enterprise sector. Last year we launched our Buy Social Scotland campaign to encourage consumers to buy from social enterprise organisations in the lead up to Christmas and we will be continuing this work and extending the campaign to include a B2B (business to business) push through our Buy Social Scotland Corporate Challenge.
About this role
This part-time role will have a focus on preparing and adding listings for our Buy Social Scotland B2B directory, updating the consumer directory and working on webinar promotion for our weekly events through social media.
While our office is based in Edinburgh it is currently closed due to Covid restrictions. The post is therefore open to remote working and hours can be flexible to suit.
We are offering this role as a permanent position subject to further finance being available. We currently have resources to support this work for 12 months.
A full Job Description is available for download below.